Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Monday, December 26, 2011

Baking with Milk Kefir

I picked up my starters of water kefir and milk kefir a week ago and so far all is going well. The kefir grains are multiplying as I was told they would, they are almost doubling on each batch yay! I decided to try cooking with the milk kefir this morning, for my first (and second) try I used my buttermilk biscuit recipe, just substituting the kefir milk in place of the buttermilk. This made a little flakier biscuit and a slightly calmer flavor and they rose just fine, I know I will try this again.
The strained Kefir milk is in the quart jar

The shapes are kinda wonky the batch before looked prettier
but I forgot to take a picture and hubby ate them before I
remembered :)
You cant really tell from the picture but they are more flaky with the kefir than with the store bought buttermilk. The texture is a little closer to when I make it with my homemade buttermilk, it may also make a difference because with the kefir and homemade buttermilk its made with my milk so it has not been pasteurized or homogenised....

2 comments:

  1. I forgot that you could make kefir. I'll have to try it. It has such great health benefits. I never thought of placing it with buttermilk. Thanks for the ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Julie! If you come up with any ideas to make with the kefir I'd love to try them :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)