Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Some projects I get antsy with and want done now, I need to practice patience

Hubby found me a milk cow (Jersey) in April for a really good price. It was kind of a friend of his has a friend that has a small dairy farm (12 cows) and said he would sell us a 2 1/2 year old that just had her first baby. I was so excited! I cleaned out the side of the barn for my dairy cow, had it all ready then hubby came home looked at the barn saw problems I didn't see.....so like usual my clean barn, get cow ended up so much more!
The roof of the lean-to had separated from the barn and was slowly falling in. Jim used the tractor to raise the roof up to reattach it then realized it was to far gone.
With the supports being lifted with the tractors help when he lowered it back down everything pulled loose and the roof came down.
Jim ended up having to push it over. Thank goodness for sweet nephews and daughter that came and helped me clean it all up.
Next Jim had to level the ground before we could add on the new lean-to, about this time I was feeling really good like it might just get done in time to still be able to get Chile (the dairy cow).
Before we could do that though the boards had to be replaced that pulled off when we pushed to lean-to over.
On weekend 4 we pulled out the big guns and my father in law came out. :) Jim and him framed it and added the roof, good thing we have a dust to dawn light in the yard or they would have been finishing it by moonlight and the moon was not full!
Now that we had it framed the next Saturday all we had left to do was put walls on both sides, door on the other and head catcher inside Then the next day to pick up our jersey.
That was 3 weeks ago and it has worked out so well! Jim made a cow milker so it only takes me on average 5 to 6 minute's to milk her twice a day but then I spend at least 3 hours a day making cheese, yogurt, butter etc from the milk. I made some junket the other day that everyone liked and Velveeta cheese that was also well received.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like the cow is saving a treat for later! It's best you rebuilt the shed. Things like that can come down unexpectedly and kill someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny Gorges I didn't notice her ear!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)