Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Monday, July 25, 2016

Fruit salad

I woke up the other day thinking of a very special lady and realized we are going to my oldest daughters new house for a BBQ this weekend and I know what I will bring!
My hubby and I were together for about 9 years before his grandma passed away, I had know her since I was about 8 through church, her and my mom were friends. I knew her by Grandma Ernie way before hubby and I met and got married but after she really was Grandma Ernie (hubby's grandma)! She is missed a lot and this is something that screams her name and makes me smile. This was one of her favorite things to make and bring to family functions, she would make it up the night before and store in quart jars. The next day she would just take it out of the fridge and since the lids were on just put in a bag and she was ready to go. She also made lots on purpose so as we left each of us had a jar to take home. Here is as close to her recipe as I could remember.

1 package strawberry jello
1 package cherry jello
1 can pineapple,  crushed
1 cup peaches
1 quart strawberries
3 bananas
2 cups grapes, purple and/or white
2 cups apples, red and/or yellow
1/2 to 1 cup coconut flakes
1 jar cherries
1 can fruit cocktail, think grandma may have also put in juice

Follow the instruction on the packages of jello, then add the fruit above (sliced into bite sized pieces) or the fruit of your choice (this recipe is very forgiving) stir and store in quart jars, or containers of your choice, (I love wide mouth canning jars) leave in the icebox until jelled. You can also add other fresh/frozen fruit. The above is just how Grandma made it (close to), she made this fruit salad more during the summer when most of the ingredient she could pick herself. Wish me luck that I am close to her recipe, if not hopefully someone in the family will know what needs added this weekend. All grandmas recipes were in her head sadly, I don't think she ever wrote any down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)