Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Surprise Egg

I got a surprise this morning when I gathered the eggs. You may ask why a picture of this egg, it looks normal? It does look ok, but the shell is paper thin when I picked it up it doesn't even hold its shape and is almost see through. The first thing I thought of was are they getting enough vitamins, calcium etc, but the other hens eggs are ok so I don't think that's the problem. Time will tell maybe this is a once in a  long time event, could be because they some are this years chickens, or maybe the hens are trying to keep me on my toes! I did have a shock when I picked it up, I am sooo lucky I didn't squish it in my hand! Never a dull moment on a farm! :)

4 comments:

  1. Lucky indeed! We get these occasionally but a scoop of oyster shell in the feeder takes care of it. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks we did, hope you did also. I will pick up some oyster shells tomorrow, is this something the feed stores carry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get these sometimes and then not one for months. If they've got a good diet and access to the outdoors I wouldnt wprry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alviti
    Thanks I'll remember that (the diet and outdoors) because I don't like surprises, next time I may not be so lucky! would hate to have egg running down my hand in the middle of winter :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)