Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Friday, January 28, 2011

Vanilla Syrup

 Combine 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar simmer on the stove top just until the sugar is dissolved (or if you want a little thicker syrup let the mixture boil for 3 minutes), remove from the burner and add a vanilla bean and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. This is where my mother and I differ a little, growing up she always kept this in a container in the fridge (like I do) or made fresh that morning, but she did not add the vanilla bean. I just like the look of it setting in the fridge with the bean in the jars. This will stay good in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks (at least that is the longest it has lasted in mine.). I had this so many times growing up. I did not even realize you could buy pancake syrup at the store until I was probably 12 years old! And even now I still prefer it to the store's.

This is a symbol of one of my fondest memories growing up... sitting at the breakfast table with mom and dad, with her pancakes, homemade syrup, fresh sausage, and usually with biscuits and gravy on the side
(mmmm, her gravy was also exquisite). We lived on a farm so most of the food was always fresh.
Usually, breakfast would end with dad putting a tablespoon of sugar on his plate and a teaspoon of coffee. He would stir them together then get one of mom's homemade angel biscuits and add this mixture to his biscuit (like you would add jelly) with one last cup of coffee. I know this may not sound very health conscious, but who knows. Dad lived to be 89 with very few health problems (But he also spent his life with 90 percent of the food he consumed straight from the farm coupled with hard work). He didn't want to retire but finally did at the age of 76. Yet he still had all the work on the farm to keep him busy, he threw up his own hay until he was about 81 (hope my sisters and I are lucky enough to be so energetic at that age)
When making this syrup now, I also pour some in a 1/2 pint jar so I can mix it in my coffee. Just 1 teaspoon vanilla mixture with little milk added. (at 4am coffee +  vanilla = happy me)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)