Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Saturday, October 27, 2012

While looking for lost logs

Since hubby is on 7 days a week for a bit and we are low on wood....I went in search of wood this morning, the wood we cut 2 weeks ago is green so the dry I find will work great to start a fire. One of my nieces and her husband cut wood last year and when I was repairing fence (this past spring) I found piles of wood here and there that they never came back for. On my third wood trip this morning I found wood with mushrooms growing on them and since I am not familiar with the different types of mushrooms out there I am just curious. To me it looks like three different types of mushrooms so does anyone know what they are!
These looked fresh
These are the same as above but looked dry
This picture is the under side of the above mushrooms
I also found these growing in the pile
This picture and the two below have the mushrooms in the
above picture but also like a button mushroom or maybe
its called a toad stool?


Again I'm not interested in them in the terms of edible (I am to afraid of getting a wrong mushroom) I have just never seen three (if it is three) different types growing together. I did try my hand at Shiitake logs I purchased them from a lady about an hours drive from here, but they never did produce even as a last resort (8 months later) I even put them in the freezer for a bit to shock them but they never did produce. I may in the future try this again (shiitake log) but I would never feel sure enough of myself to get wild mushrooms, I leave that to the people that know what they are doing!. :)

5 comments:

  1. I remember just recently reading about a woman that picked mushrooms from her yard and had them with a meal. The entire family ended up in the hospital. Yikes, the thought of trying to figure it out scares me. That said, the mushrooms do look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the scary story about the mushrooms. I think you are wise not to attempt it.

    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/family-seriously-ill-after-eating-wild-mushrooms-dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read it, thats awful! Those poor people. Yes mushrooms are one of the things in the woods that look pretty but I am afraid to mess with, that is something to me that should be left to the pro's.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Shitake Logs so looked it up.
    Well I never, you learn something every day...
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Briony
    I cant wait to try the Shitake Logs next spring! The lady I purchased them from said the problem with my logs could have been because they were so small and dried out to quick.....she had only used larger logs in the past, so next year I am getting some larger ones from her. I cant wait hope they work next year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)