Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Calf with pink eye

Had to call the vet today, the little one has pink eye! Our cows have never had this before but one of the goats did, so I ask the vet and he said this just happens same as with the goats. At least I got it in the beginning stages at noon today her eyes were fine, then at 5:00 this evening I noticed her left eye getting cloudy. The vet told me to use LA 300 (thank goodness I keep certain meds in the outside ice box) and to give her a shot of 4ml and squirt 2 ml in her eye, I was worried about it burning (in the eye) but she did not act like it hurt. The vet said I caught it early so she should be back to normal at the latest 10 days. :)
If you look in the center of her eye it looks cloudy, I did not realize she had such long eye lashes!

8 comments:

  1. Years ago, there was a white, creamy mastitus medicine for cattle that came in a little white tube. The spout of it was to be inserted in the teat and the entire contents of the tube squeezed inside. Our vet discovered that a few drops in a cow's eye cured pinkeye and "gave it away" for that, since it wasn't legal to sell it for a use for which it wasn't approved. He's dead, so I can't ask him what it was, but you might want to ask around.

    BTW, please consider disabling word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not mean to enable it how do I disable it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. CL, I think it comes on automatically and you have to shut it off if you don't want it. If you use the old interface, click "settings" and carefully follow your nose. It'll steer you right. If you have the new interface, there should be a "gear" at the top of one page which will let you shift to the old interface and then click settings and go from there. I think you can then shift back to the new interface if you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your word verification is turned off. Now go back and enable moderation or the spammers will start getting you! Don't be scared; you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few months ago two of our goats developed severe pink eye. A friend of ours told us, that she used "Polysporin Heal-Fast Formula" cream on her goats to treat pink eye. So, we drove to the drug store and purchased a tube of it. We then applied it onto both eyes, twice a day. It's best to wear gloves and gently fold back the upper eye lid and insert the clear cream under the eye lid with your finger. When the animal closes its eye lid, the cream is evenly distributed.

    After 5 days of treatment, the pink eye was completely gone!

    We now have a tube of Polysporin Heal-Fast Formula, set aside should another outbreak occur.

    It's an economical solution...that worked beautifully.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try this Sandra thanks for the tip
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)