Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Monday, January 9, 2012

Jim's Jerky Recipe

I finally got hubby to stop long enough to write down his marinade recipe, this is for 4 pounds of thin sliced beef

 1 cup of soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar

We sliced the meat (beef) very thin and added the mixture above into a pot and heat on low until the brown sugar is combined, this takes just a few minutes, cool and add the beef to this mixture and let set over night in the fridge or at least for 12 hours.


The next morning it looks like this, all soaked and added to the dehydrator and ready to go. Turn the temperature to 155 degrees F, for 10 hours for thin sliced, 12 to 14 hours if  thicker (play it by ear, you can tell when its done). I let it dehydrate overnight, then the next morning it looks like this

First batch done just in time for hubby to take with him this morning for the week to snack on. I had forgotten how much cheaper it is to make it yourself. Yay! :)
The 4 pounds of thin sliced makes 5 batches in this dehydrator








7 comments:

  1. Its funny, I like jerky but in the UK its not something thats very common. The only time I've ever really had it have been when I've been to the States and Canada and a survial week I did a few years ago. I've had so little experience with it I'd probably never be able to tell when it was done right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alviti, its really not hard you should try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!... I have been reading off and on as I find a few minutes in my day.

    I am going to try Jim's recipe. Do you have any experience with long term storage? I have made jerky lots of times before and it never lasts long enough to put in storage. One day I am going to make some and hide it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mamma Bear, nice to meet you! Funny I have the same problem as you, its never lasted over a week! :) Some time maybe you can let me know what you put in jerky, would love to try it.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are makin' this! Jerky lovers at this house and the grandson's would be so excited to do this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really tasty, I've wanted to get a dehydrator for ages as it will be the perfect way to make quality lightweight camping food cheaply. Thanks for the info. this blog has come along nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)