Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Friday, October 21, 2011

#4 Saving on utilities

One of the main things I have started doing in this area is reminding everyone in the house to turn off the lights when leaving the room, sigh over and over again. I have also installed CFL bulbs through the house. We do not leave any appliances plugged in when not in use, even the phone charger uses electricity if left plugged in. The computer has been another problem, its forgotten and left on when not in use. These small items have been a no brainier for me, but for my teenagers it has been worse than pulling teeth! In the beginning I felt like they were three again, I was constantly walking behind them and unplugging this or turning off that, but after a week they are getting better, slowly! I am also adding plastic to all the windows on the outside (you know old house, no double pane) and checking the attic for insulation. I also made a type of draft dodger (as seen on TV) for the doors. I have also been going over the house plugging any small leaks (that I can feel). I would love to put in some solar panels, but that will have to wait, this is all I can think of doing, I am sure these will make some difference!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)