Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Friday, September 2, 2011

Cajeta

Found a new recipe this is for Cajeta (Mexican caramelized candy), I'm sure a lot of people have heard of this but its new to me! Anyway I had to give it a try...and I love it!! The caramel taste is excellent! The only thing is it takes quit a while to cook, you start with 3 quarts of milk and the finished product is a little over 3 cups but it is soooo good. Ingredients that I used are as follows:
3 Quarts whole goats milk
3 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
(I know this is VERY rich but you don't eat a lot at one setting)
dissolve the cornstarch and the baking soda in a cup of goats milk stir well
add the rest of the goats milk to a pan and bring to a boil and also add the cup of goats milk with the cornstarch and baking soda dissolved, keep an eye on it and stir constantly, cook until you have the consistency of mmm.... oh sorry... caramel sauce, then stir in a teaspoon vanilla and your done. Pour into clean jars and if not canning this put in the fridge.
It only lasted a couple of weeks in my fridge (everyone loved it I think it was a toss up between my sister Linda and hubby on who ate the most! :)
This caramel candy has the consistency of caramel and is a dark rich color its good on toast, ice cream, dip for apples, oh and its so good drizzled on pumpkin bread, I am also going to try it in my next apple pie etc....
So I am making a double batch today and its going to be canned! Although I may still have to hide a few in the pantry so we can enjoy some this winter. haha
This is how it looks in the beginning
This is after 45 minutes, its almost there!

This is after a total of about 2 hour 15 minutes you
can see the color change. At this time I add the
teaspoon of vanilla.
Sorry I got busy canning and with the hot water bath I forgot to take any pictures of the finished product. I cleaned and sterilized 6 - 1/2 pint jars (I made a double batch) and added the Cajeta I left about 1/2 inch from the top, then hot water bath for 10 minutes and finished. Oh but do be careful at the last stage you can scorch it very easy, so make sure you keep stirring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)