Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Trail mix



My hubby found out recently that he is diabetic, this would not be so hard for him except the job he is on at the moment has a time limit. The job has to be completed sometime around the end of May, since its a few hours from home the company takes care of the motel. They are scheduled for 6 to 7 days a week (if no rain) until the job is completed. He is only home one night a week, if rain two, this means an awful lot of eating out! Thank goodness this is only for a few months, the farm will start missing him. I am not complaining though thank God he has a job and he loves what he does and the company he works for! After this deadline he goes back to 40 hours a week. But living out of a suitcase can be hard especially being diabetic. When he comes home I have been trying to make diabetic friendly things for him to take back with him (no fridge in the motel). I have found an easy thing to make is trail mix, I use whatever I have in the pantry. This last one I really liked it was just a little sweet and a little salty and still not real bad for him (but better than a lot of snacks out therre)!

Ingredients :
Dried fruit :
this batch I added bananas, apricots, raisins, pineapple,blueberry's, cranberries,
Crackers (I made these myself)
Woven wheat squares
M&Ms
Cheerios (multigrain)
Nuts :
peanuts, almonds, cashews, pecans
vanilla yogurt covered raisins
fiber cereal

More or less its whatever I have in the cabinets when I make this. I really did not want to add the M&Ms, I had planned on shredded coconut, but could not find it in the pantry.  I added all the above in  two glass bowls, shook them up, then put it into small containers. I have no way of knowing how much it cost, or if I saved any by making it myself because some items I may have picked up on sale or with coupon off.
I will be happy though when fruit is back in season, I can use the dehydrator, (I hope our blueberries turn out this year) and when I can get fresh walnuts, pecans and peanuts! (then I can pronounce most of what I put in!)
This is the finished product : 18 small baggies and 2 quart jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)