Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baby Wild Rabbit

My youngest daughter came home with a surprise for me, first she gave me some roots to plant (she is not sure what they are) her friend gave them to her, she said....her mom said.....they are pretty flowers but her mom is not sure what they are called.....ookay I will plant them and have a surprise (I thought). Then my daughter came to what she really wanted to say, she found a baby rabbit on the road next to its mom that had gotten ran over and could I please make it live, it has a tiny cut on its side etc......Kids even at 17 think Moms can make everything okay if asked (in my opinion). I ran into town and got a tiny animal bottle, since there is no place in town to buy rabbit milk and everyplace that would have some is closed. I went back to when I was a kid and used the same method to make the milk that Mom always used and I even called my sister-in-law to see what she used, since both recipes are the same I hope this works!
Quart jar
1 can of evaporated milk
add same amount of water as the evaporated milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon of Caro syrup
mix together and keep refrigerated, warm as needed.
The tiny one drank the milk and we made a small cage for him and added hay and grass, so he can hide (he is now sharing a porch with the baby goat). I hope he makes it but I have learned in the past it is sooo hard to raise a wild rabbit this tiny. I guess though the little one has a better shot here than if he were left on the road next to his mom.

3 comments:

  1. My cat (the larger dark gray one, not the little black one) eats baby rabbits.

    Given the damage they can do to a garden, I cannot say I get particularly upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know if it were not for my daughter asking....My dogs keep rabbits out of our gardens also but we still do have a few get into the garden. :( If this little one lives I'll turn it loose at my mother-in-laws (she lives in town) :)

      Delete
  2. Bless your heart! Thank goodness you rescued this little baby. We have rabbits in the yard and I simply love them! Hopefully this little guy will make it, but I have also heard how difficult it is once they have received a trauma.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)