Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Catch up

I have not been blogging very much for the last couple of weeks so I thought I would catch up on a few things I have been doing. I have been outside working all week, the first garden I started last month is coming along fine below is a picture of it. In this garden we have corn, 20 tomatoes, 18 potatoes, 22 peppers, green, yellow, red, 22 zucchini, green beans, onions, 6 cantaloupe, 6 cucumbers and peas sorry I could not get all of the garden in the picture.
I cannot believe I didn't notice the goats are in the yard! OK I'm back
 I just took this picture a half hour ago at least I have the garden
fenced but some other plants are in the open! I put the goats back in
their area, they couldn't have been in the yard long not much was
eaten that I noticed. Lucky me I took a few pictures for
 the blog before I came in! :)
I just finished this afternoon driving the fence posts and putting up the fence around the new garden and also added 4 loads of compost. This took me four days to get accomplished, it would have taken only a day if hubby were here but I got it done Yah!. I planted the berry's at the back of the garden this morning.

Blueberry
Raspberry
Blackberry

We have a lot of blackberries around the farm but I thought it would be nice to have one without thorns! We also have raspberries around here but thought it would be nice to also have one in our back yard.


This garden is 48x38 feet and sets a little ways behind
the house. I noticed in this picture the posts look kinda
funny but I wanted to fence in the garden with what
was on hand, they are a little on the tall side. :)
Now at least both our gardens are protected from our Houdini's (goats) I cant understand it but when I turn my back they will somehow (like an hour ago!) find a tiny spot in the fence and run with it! That is why I took the time to add the fences around each garden so the goats can not get in there (I hope). Next I need to do something about our grape vines I don't want the goats to bother them either.


I wore gloves the whole time and I still ended up with blisters and a few cuts on both hands, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I cant wait for hubby to come home in a few weeks and see the new garden, hopefully the plants with be starting to come through by then! In this garden I have put in 25 sweet potatoes (today), tomorrow I plan on putting in beets, turnips, green beans, cucumbers, lettuce, radishes  and hopefully a few more plants if I have the room. I plan on having a lot of things to can this year, fingers crossed! Then I am taking off Saturday from farm work (except feeding) :) my nephew is getting married down by the river and after the reception is having a party, so it will be an all afternoon and evening thing. I think though I will only stay for a little while at the party Mom will not feel like staying very long and I don't drink anyway so that's OK. I should have some pretty pictures to blog about though! :) I think this is long enough so bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)