Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rosie and her baby

Rosie disappeared yesterday so I thought probably she went to bed down and have her calf so I left her alone. This morning I called the cows up and Rosie came but she had hidden the calf somewhere, so again I left her alone. Then this evening I called the cows up and she did not come, so worried about her because of coyotes, neighbors dogs and plus its going to get cold tonight with freezing rain they say. I lucked out and one of my sister happened to stop by for a visit so I put her to work helping me find Rosie. I had forgotten how a 1200 pound cow can disappear from the face of the earth if she does not want to be found! After over two hours of searching we went to the last place she was seen and tracked her. I have not done this in quite a while (about 15 years), so it took us almost 40 minutes of tracking to finally find her I guess we should have done that first though.
This is Rosie on the left when we found her. She does not look very hidden in this picture but she really was hard to see unless you got very very close.
On the right is me coaxing her to head for home. With Rosie she is very bull headed and it has to be her idea, so it took a while.






The picture on the left is Rosie and baby(finally) walking into the clearing and almost home!
On the right is Rosie getting her treat for being a good girl. This also gives her time to relax before we try to get her into the middle lot for the night.



Here is a picture of the new baby, with Rosie in the background. We had finally gotten Rosie to realize she wanted in the barn lot! I did not want to push the issue with her, if she would not have went in then we would have left her alone. I was keeping my fingers crossed though what with the weather and coyotes you never know......this way I will sleep better tonight.! :)

This is my sister Pat, I promised her as soon as Rosie decided to enter the barn lot she could set down....I just didn't realize it would be as soon as and the first thing she saw!! :)

9 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a post of mine called "Maternity Flats." You'd probably enjoy it, but I don't remember where it is in the archive, probably early last year. Glad Rosie and her calf were alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, finally :) Congratulations, the calf is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear mom and baby are fine. Beautiful baby!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! :) I was really worried this time with her, she just got so big! I was happy she had the baby and both were ok... and we got her in the lot! I forgot to see if its a boy or a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How in the world do you do this? I would worry myself sick about these sweet creatures...I would probably end up sleeping in the barn. I applaude you and your family and all good people who dedicate their life to farming! I'll probably dream about this tonight.....oiy vey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not an expert tracker, but I have worked at it a little. It is always so odd to me how you can see nothing, and then all of the sudden you see one little tell, and then you see all of them. It is like your mind readjusts itself to what it needs to see.

    If I was actually good at it, I suspect it would always see that way.

    I have been reading Earth Abides. The author (who is big on the natural progression of nature) has the bison multiplying to a point to where they push the cattle into the woodlands. Maybe Rosie knows something we don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that was what made tracking fun, you look and look then the tracks jump at you! Then you start to notice the leaves are turned over a little etc :)

      Delete
  7. What a worry! I can't imagine trying to steer her back home, that took some patience. Cutie pie calf... sisters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister are the best! Don't know what I would do without the two I have!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)