Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]

Walking With Grandmpa [my father and grand-daughter]
"I like walking with granpa his steps are short like mine." (dedicated to my dad who passed 4/1/10)

Friday, July 1, 2011

Lightning bugs

When I was a child one of my fondest memories was chasing lightning bugs! there were hundreds upon top of hundreds in the open fields. They would light up the night sky, I had a special small bug container that mom had gotten me that I was allowed to put some in and pretend it was my lantern, (but only for a little while) then I had to turn them loose.That was the main rule with mom, but in my world they were tiny stars and I made wish after wish as I ran around the field and sang and danced (oh to be a child again) sigh.
My grand kids and I were out chasing lightening bugs last night, the only difference from then and now is I am teaching my grand kids (Sid and Riley) that running in the fields (the same fields that I ran in as a  child) and chasing them is fun, but instead of catching them we take pictures! This is a lot of fun to a 5 and 3 year old and we are going to develop the pictures we take and put them all over the ceiling of the playroom!
This is hard work though for grandma, I told the kids before I though and so far most of the pictures (if I am lucky) have only one or two in the picture. This gives us more reason though to be out there each night, running in the fields and playing.
I have been thinking this morning how much pleasure the simplest things in life give us. I ran in the fields as a child chasing the lightning bugs, then 20 years later with my children and now (cough, cough,) 40 years later with my grand babies and I still get that same thrill in my chest!
 I feel so blessed to have grown up in the country. :)
So far most of the pictures look like this with just one lightning bug

Thank God for life's little pleasures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, would love to hear from you :)